BaseJKA Security Fix

Miscellaneous programs and scripts, opensource or not, and sometimes, random mathematical stuff.
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Re: BaseJKA Security Fix

Post by Gamall »

evan1715 wrote:Hey, Gamall would you be willing to create a "BaseJK2 Security Fix?" I could inform you of all the JK2 bugs.
Sorry, but no :nonnon

I have even stopped working on BaseJKA security fix, except when I hear of a DOS attack I didn't know.

Modding the JKA/JK2 SDK takes a lot of time and is not exactly interesting when you don't play the game, which is my case. And this is time I couln't spend on other projects. And I do not have much (any ?) free time for that kind of things outside of vacations.

Right this instant I am working on a much improved version of Quake3 Server Commander. And I'm having fun :slurp
{<§ Gamall Wednesday Ida §>}
{ Mods and Programs - Mods TES-IV Oblivion }
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

Gamall wrote:Sorry, but no :nonnon
what if I did it from JA to JO and then forward it to you and you just patch it up a bit? :) (probably going to say no to that idk why im asking) :green
Gamall wrote:I have even stopped working on BaseJKA security fix, except when I hear of a DOS attack I didn't know.
or server crash? :P I sort of think Luigi has found all of them.
Gamall wrote:Modding the JKA/JK2 SDK takes a lot of time and is not exactly interesting when you don't play the game, which is my case. And this is time I couldn't spend on other projects. And I do not have much (any ?) free time for that kind of things outside of vacations.
oh so you're in like college right now? :quoi
Gamall wrote:Right this instant I am working on a much improved version of Quake3 Server Commander. And I'm having fun :slurp
Hmm, don't know what that is but uh good luck :green

Question: Gamall, I've always wanted the color orange in my name on JK2/JK3, but you can't do it. How do you add a color?
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

evan1715 wrote: you just patch it up a bit?
:haha Patching things up "a bit" is often more daunting a task than doing it from A to Z.
evan1715 wrote:or server crash? I sort of think Luigi has found all of them.
DoS == server crash. Roughly ;) . Luigi has found many exploits (crash or not), but he's less interested in simple ingame ones, like the forcecrash, since, after all, there is basically no work for him to do, Ravensoft has done all the work already :ange2
evan1715 wrote:oh so you're in like college right now? :quoi
Yep.
evan1715 wrote:Hmm, don't know what that is but uh good luck
It is -> this. The new version will have... cool things :huhu
evan1715 wrote:Question: Gamall, I've always wanted the color orange in my name on JK2/JK3, but you can't do it. How do you add a color?
Errrr.... I don't think it can really be done in a server-side mod alone. Logically, it would be the client which interprets the color escape sequences and renders the color. Since I have never worked on a client-side mod, I can't help you with that. Server side, the escape sequences are in q_shared.h.
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

Gamall wrote::haha Patching things up "a bit" is often more daunting a task than doing it from A to Z.
^_^
Gamall wrote:
evan1715 wrote:oh so you're in like college right now? :quoi
Yep.
:D
Gamall wrote:It is -> this. The new version will have... cool things :huhu
"cool things" lol thats all ur going to say about it :S seems pretty nice, looks similar to rcon unlimited on jk2files and multircon from luigi
Gamall wrote:Errrr.... I don't think it can really be done in a server-side mod alone. Logically, it would be the client which interprets the color escape sequences and renders the color. Since I have never worked on a client-side mod, I can't help you with that. Server side, the escape sequences are in q_shared.h.
Yeah, I see it in q_math.c and q_shared.h, look at the top of q_math.c theres a bunch of colors stuff :oO , and in q_shared.h all i see are "#define's" for how they are used (^1 = red, ^2 = green...) so I don't suppose it's client only, it's both? or is it in the jk2mp.exe? ... :fi :einstein confused a bit.
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

evan1715 wrote:"cool things" lol thats all ur going to say about it :S
I can't write it and talk about it at the same time :langue
evan1715 wrote:Yeah, I see it in q_math.c and q_shared.h, look at the top of q_math.c theres a bunch of colors stuff , and in q_shared.h all i see are "#define's" for how they are used (^1 = red, ^2 = green...) so I don't suppose it's client only, it's both? or is it in the jk2mp.exe? ... confused a bit.
The escape sequences are both server and client-side, since the client obviously needs them, and the server uses them to sanitize names and such. There is a function sanitize_name or something in g_client.c, if I recall.

The relation between escape sequences and RGB colors is... definitely on the client side, but where... I have no idea.

If you find that out, please let me know :D
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

Gamall wrote:I can't write it and talk about it at the same time :langue
heh, true :nanan???re
Gamall wrote:The escape sequences are both server and client-side, since the client obviously needs them, and the server uses them to sanitize names and such. There is a function sanitize_name or something in g_client.c, if I recall.
The relation between escape sequences and RGB colors is... definitely on the client side, but where... I have no idea.
If you find that out, please let me know :D
if i ever get around to it, yeah sure ill let ya know :blind

so uh anyway back to the original coding, your mod and uh 'mine' XD should start a new topic and bother u there or continue talking on this one... :D
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

lol apparently u dont want to answer that

what do u use to compile ur mod into a .dll i need a compiler for something on JA
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

evan1715 wrote:lol apparently u dont want to answer that
Answer what ?? I really see no technical question whatsoever in your last post :P
evan1715 wrote:what do u use to compile ur mod into a .dll i need a compiler for something on JA
On Windows, I use Microsoft Visual Studio 8. Raven used version 6, and a projet file for that IDE is shipped with the SDK. The code will compile under version 8 with minor modifications. (comment out function powf or something)
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

eh ^_^ im not paying $500 for visual studios >_< nor am i going to torrent it because it's too large and too long of a wait

what i want to do is just change the stupid 5 second wait between names and it is only 1 byte probably i have to change.

Code: Select all

client->pers.netnameTime = level.time + 5000;
to....

Code: Select all

client->pers.netnameTime = level.time + 1000;
wait 100 is the equivalent to 1000 o_o and no1 can name flood like that, but it's the way i like it... do u know the byte to change it to that or any other compiler i can use to find that out? :green
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

You don't have to pay $500 for Visual Studio.

I have a legal version of VS, which I bought about for about € 50, because I am a student. I think it also applies to high-school students.

If you really do not want to buy VS, at any price, try MinGW GCC. Of course, it will require more work to make the code compile, because of the subtle differences between GCC and VC. And you'll need a Makefile etc etc etc. As if you were compiling under Linux.
evan1715 wrote: do u know the byte to change it
You mean directly alter the executable via an hexadecimal editor, for instance ? This is completely outside my field, I can't help you. But Luigi Auriemma might.

Nevertheless, a word of advice (to be taken with a grain of salt since, again, this is not something I'm familar with): it depends on the compiler, but the executable might store all occurences of an explicit immutable constant in one place. Which means that if you manage to find the place and change the value, you will in fact change every occurence of the integer 1000 in the program, which will probably result in an unexpected behaviour.

So it might not be as simple as finding a byte and change it. Your best bet is really to recompile the code.
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

I've googled 'VS' it's expensive. Your euro money is of course different from the US. :) Eh, I'll use MinGW GCC i guess if i have to, or you can do this little test for me :D :D :D :D :D :D :haha it's simple by just changing that then compiling it, in a. telling me where it is and what to change it to or b. giving me ur 2 files the one thats original 5000 wait and the one changed to 1000 :P or of couse u can just make a dll that changes ur 700 to 1000 and i'll compare it to ur gamall mod or regular 5000 to 1000, sry if i dont make sense im a bit tired
Gamall wrote:You mean directly alter the executable via an hexadecimal editor, for instance ?
Yep, meanwhile I'll ask on Luigi's forum.

If you don't volunteer to help with that or Luigi doesn't know, then I am forced to used the compile method. >_< :grrrr
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

evan1715 wrote:sry if i dont make sense im a bit tired
You must be tired very often then...
Sorry, I just couldn't resist :kitty
evan1715 wrote:or you can do this little test for me
Nope :

1° I'm at my holiday home, which means without the computer with the JKA stuff. So I can't.
2° For the reason exposed in my previous post (and others), I don't think it will be as easy as that.

Contact Luigi for that. That's his thing.
evan1715 wrote:If you don't volunteer to help with that or Luigi doesn't know, then I am forced to used the compile method. >_<
.. which is cleaner IMHO :ouioui
evan1715

Post by evan1715 »

Gamall wrote:You must be tired very often then... Sorry, I just couldn't resist :kitty
u poo.
Gamall wrote:2° For the reason exposed in my previous post (and others), I don't think it will be as easy as that.
acutally i beleive it is ;) idk what ur expeirence is with hex and assembly but it is most likely 1 byte :))

"Contact Luigi for that. That's his thing."
of course, 128 posts on his forum from me to him lol "You ask too many questions" is what i get a lot from a lot of people... questions + answers = knowledge so why not... ur response to this may be "because it's annoying" :P :haha :haha :haha

".. which is cleaner IMHO :ouioui "
could be, but it's the fact i would have to reframe it for the compiler to make it "happy", like u said >_<
Maikoru
Jedi Perpétuellement Affamé

Post by Maikoru »

Tout à l'heure j'ai mis à jour le basejka de notre serveur vers la version 1.2.
Je suis passé sur basejka donc, et j'ai voulu changer de map :
http://www.gamall-ida.com/f/download/file.php?id=431

En enlevant le patch, tout est rentré dans l'ordre, t'as une idée ? Est-ce que ça peut être lié à d'eventuels npc que l'on a dans notre Base ?
"..." -- Link
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

Shuyoru wrote:Tout à l'heure j'ai mis à jour le basejka de notre serveur vers la version 1.2.
Heu...

Il n'y a pas de version 1.2 de BaseJKA Security Fix :? La dernière version est -> 1.1a.

Soit tu confonds mon fix avec un autre, soit tu t'es trompé de topic, je crois :D