Hiding Glyph: Bytewise Image Steganography

Miscellaneous programs and scripts, opensource or not, and sometimes, random mathematical stuff.
zavvlon

Re: Hiding Glyph: Bytewise Image Steganography

Post by zavvlon »

Yes I know that 1ko= 1000 Octets and I did not understand at all the way to compute the amount of space free, so I'll simply stick with the process I used so far, hide an empty text file in the picture which I want to know the space it has and then rename the image with the amount of Bytes given.

Also I am not a computer genius but I believe that to instal imagemagik I simply have to follow the onscreen directions so I'm fairly sure it's installed properly,

and I am taking the tip you give in the "readme" file, (Yes I read it completely) And am trying a PNG file.

I have taken a screenshot but I'm not quite sure of how to post the picture...
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

zavvlon wrote: I did not understand at all the way to compute the amount of space free, so I'll simply stick with the process I used so far, hide an empty text file in the picture which I want to know the space it has and then rename the image with the amount of Bytes given.
The program does exactly the computation which I have described to give you that number -- a simple multiplication. It's not the end of the world, is it ? And again, as it is before compression (see my edit in previous post) the actual capacity of an image is generally much higher than this computation indicates.
zavvlon wrote:Also I am not a computer genius but I believe that to instal imagemagik I simply have to follow the onscreen directions so I'm fairly sure it's installed properly,
I have tested the latest version of IM and it works perfectly.

There is a simple way to test your installation:

Code: Select all

convert logo: logo.gif
 imdisplay logo.gif
type this in the MSDOS command prompt (I assume you are using Windows). If you don't see the image of a wizard appear on your screen, then the install is broken.

zavvlon wrote:"readme" file, (Yes I read it completely)
Good boy. :ouioui

edit:
zavvlon wrote:I have taken a screenshot but I'm not quite sure of how to post the picture...
Upload attachment tab, below the text of your post.

(note: high time to go to bed in this part of the world...)
Last edited by Gamall on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added
{<§ Gamall Wednesday Ida §>}
{ Mods and Programs - Mods TES-IV Oblivion }
zavvlon

Post by zavvlon »

Okay goodnight I'll wait untill tomorrow to post again
wrstrong

Post by wrstrong »

I have read your information and have a few questions. Has anyone ever created any applications that embeds data using steganography on the Most Significant Bit instead of the Least Significant Bit? Also, are there any applications that will embed data using steganography in any location within that file (instead of at the end like others that I have seen)?

I have been searching for something that will perform these tasks for a while now without any luck. Since you appear to be knowledgeable about this subject, that's why I'm contacting you. If you are unable to help me, could you please forward me to someone who will? I'd be very grateful.

Sincerely,

wrstrong
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

wrstrong wrote:Has anyone ever created any applications that embeds data using steganography on the Most Significant Bit instead of the Least Significant Bit?
That would give horrible results: the aim is to minimize the impact of the operation on the image; using the most significant bit would maximize that impact.
wrstrong wrote:Also, are there any applications that will embed data using steganography in any location within that file (instead of at the end like others that I have seen)?
IIRC the way I wrote it, this one embeds data at the beginning of the file (not at the end), and then pads with randomness so as to prevent any detection of the end of hidden file. (since the file is compressed it looks random). It would be trivial to modify this application or any similar existing application to do what you suggest. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by that though -- the only purpose I can imagine to it is to better conceal known headers, but since an attacker would still need the image to get the remainder of the file, and thus need the original image, it seems kinda moot to me...
zavvlon

Post by zavvlon »

What are you trying to do with steganography that a standard program won't work for? Although experimentation is great, it is common wisedom to stick to what we know works.

I wish to point out that this seems somewhat suspicious, I don't wish to offend you but it really does. Any common user of steganography will be able to go through what they want with the program, in fact I don't even get any mature use out of it. Secret messages to friends and stuff like this, not really mature when they are but 1 phone call away.

Only reason I was interested was because it seemed interesting in fact I haven't used it beyond trying it out. Also, concidering that your question made no sense to me at all I guess your knowlege of computers and coding is supperior than mine and thus I can only assume you are At least a few years older than me. (I'm 18) And it's unlikely that you would still be sending secret messages to your friends. If you are then I doubt those messages are quite right.

Also the only other thing that I can think of is that you are trying to incorporate to a file a computer virus which I know anti-virus programs detect even if stganographed into a picture. My guess is that this way you'd hide it better but even so, please know that this won't work. And also that it is highly irresponcible and probably illegal.

I'm not accusing you of anything but if I made a mistake please tell me so, wrstrong.
Gamall
Hic sunt dracones

Post by Gamall »

Er, zavvlon, on the day that I require a moderator for my personal -- and thankfully quasi-inactive -- message board, rest assured that I'll put out an ad. Meanwhile...

zavvlon wrote:a computer virus which I know anti-virus programs detect even if stganographed into a picture.
No AV will do that. Not for the kind of steganography discussed here anyway.
zavvlon

Post by zavvlon »

Sorry, just trying to point out that it looked suspicious.